Here are some national break-in/burglary statistics. While these are national statistics, most of these are applicable to the Cape Cod area. A couple exceptions would be possibly the times of year burglaries occur and the fact that most local break ins happen during the day according to the Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office.
National Burglary Statistics
- About 30 percent of all burglaries are through an open or unlocked window or door
- The highest percentage of burglaries occur during the summer months.
- Homes without security systems are up to 300% more likely to be broken into.
- Renters are just as likely to be the victims of property crime as homeowners.
- Nearly 66 percent of all burglaries are residential (home) break-ins.
- 2,000,000 home burglaries are reported each year in the United States.
- In the U.S. a home burglary occurs every 14.6 seconds.
- The average loss is $1,725,00 in each burglary.
- Only 17% of the homes in U.S. have a security system.
- 2,500+ cars stolen per day… almost 2 cars a minute.
- Police usually only clear 13% of all reported burglaries due to lack of witnesses or physical evidence.
- July and August are the most frequent months for break-ins.
- February is the least frequent month for home break-ins.
- 38% of all assaults occur during a home invasion.
- 60% of all reported rapes occur during a home invasion.
- Homes on a corner lot are more likely to be burglarized.
- If your home has had a burglary, the odds of being burglarized again dramatically increase.
- Statistics show that 80% of all break-ins are through a door. Doors with low visibility from the street and neighbors are particularly vulnerable.
The average burglar is a male less than 25 years old and they tend to target homes within a few miles of their own home.
Massachusetts Crime Statistics
- Annual Violent Crimes: 28,219
- Annual Property Crimes: 148,790
- Annual Violent Crimes per 1,000 Residents: 4.28
- Annual Property Crimes per 1,000 Residents: 22.59
- Violent Crimes per 1,000 Residents: 4.28 (The national median is 3.9)
- Chances at becoming a Victim of Violent Crime: 1 in 233
- Property Crimes per 1,000 Residents: 5.55
- Chances at becoming a Victim of Property Crime: 1 in 44 (1 in 29 National Median)
- Total Burglaries: 36,533 (5.55 per thousand)
- Total Thefts: 101,471 (15.40 per thousand)
- Crimes per Square Mile: 34 (National median: 39.6)
*MA crime statistics via http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ma/crime/